Re: Creative ideas for giving Tests & Finals

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mike Delaney (edelaney)
Fri, 15 May 1998 20:07:01 -0500

Our new principal likes the idea of having a final project rather than a
final test. So this past year I give final projects. They have to work on
this at home. I give guidelines and they use some of the techniques that
they worked on throughout the semester. The only exception to the final
project being done outside of class if for ceramics class.

IThey fill out a review sheet first before designing their project. They
review the elements in ceramic designn with form. An example woulfd be to
design a form with contast, design a form with formal balance, design a
form with informal balance, design a radial design. I then have them work
on a decoraation that has the pricnciples of repetition, alternating
repetition, progressive repetition. They are to design a decoration that
could be used for the sgrafitto technique and a stenciling technique. For
the final project they are to design a form with: emphasis, contrast, and
balance. They then choose from four decoration techniques. In the
construction they are to use a combination of two handbuilding techniques
or joining wheel thrown items.
Their forms are due next week so we can get them fired after memorial day.
On final's day they will present their form and critique their work and
write a written critique of another's work. I will have them prepare an
artist's statement, etc.
In color and design they do the project all at home. They set up a still
life that portrays items that tell about them. They then use four drawing
and painting techniques. They divide the project into sections and balance
drawing and painting or color techniques if they do not have paint. On
final's day they will present their project to the class and they also
follow a critique sheet to explain their work.
In Arts and crafts they make a crafts project on their own. I give them
many ideas. An ex. would be research totem poles and then do a soap
sculpture of a totem pole. I had one student do this last semester and it
turned out wonderful.. Other ideas were look up information about Indiana
beading or jewelry and then modernize and create your own necklace with
macrame and beads. They have a choice here also . The may present their
information through a poster or brochure rather than make an actual
project. I have had students make sand paintings after looking up info
about this and to use designs from American Indians. I also tell them is
they do not want to buy colored sand that can be found at wal-mart they can
take cornmeal or salt and color it with food coloring. They also present
this on final's day with a self-critique. The students enjoy this much
more and so do I. My principal encourages this type of final for the art
classes. Enola from Indiana
----------
> From: Sandra L Miller <sandy>
> To: artsednet.edu
> Subject: Creative ideas for giving Tests & Finals
> Date: Friday, May 15, 1998 4:30 AM

Hi educators,
Just curious.......any creative ideas out there for giving tests and
finals to students? I teach 8th graders. I did come up with one idea
for a test this year. I held up an example of each famous artist's work
and they had to choose the name. It went great but I need more ideas for
the future.
Thanks!
sandy