Re: weaving and don't want to stop

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lynda Brothers Matthew (brosart)
Fri, 15 May 1998 09:46:48 -0700

>Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 09:45:51 -0700
>To: ender1m1.us
>From: Lynda Brothers Matthew <brosart>
>Subject: Re: weaving and don't want to stop
>
>Hi Melissa,
>I have been teaching weaving and art in two schools (both minority based)
for 5 years, and teaching adults for 29 years. When I'm not teaching I am a
tapestry weaver, silk painter, and do marbling and surface design for
galleries and designers. So I often bring in samples of what I'm working
on, and other weavings from other countries, plus pictures of different
kinds of looms from all over. Some of the favorite books for kids is "The
Goat In the Rug" by Geraldine, (my favorite!), "Charlie Needs a Cloak" by
Tomie dePaola, "Warm as Wool" by Scott Russell Sanders, and "The Enchanted
Tapestry" by Robert San Souci. And then for the older kids "Pictorial
Weavings of the Navajo" and "Tapestry" by Carol Russell.

>I usually start the eight week session with a class on fibers and where
they come from, with samples of unspun cotton (I have a few twigs with the
cotton on them, or pictures (there is a book called (I think) "Fibers and
Where They Come From" which is great with good pictures) I bring unspun
wool straight off the sheep and give each of them a small piece to twist
into yarn (it still smells like sheep and has all the lanolin in it, so
they NEVER forget it, with a lot of YUCKS! THIS STINKS!) angora from the
rabbit, mohair from the goat (like in the book) silk from the silk worm,
etc. And we look at the tags in the back of their shirts to find what they
all are wearing. We talk about different cultures and why the loom is so
important. How and why weaving got started (so far as we know now 26,ooo
years ago) etc. Sometimes I bring in my spinning wheel or we make drop
spindles out of apples cut in half with a pencil stuck in. We also make
friendship bracelets with colorful wool, by showing them how to take three
groups of yarn, twist each group one direction, and then take all three
together and twist back the other direction (how to ply yarn and make rope).

>I was suprised when my kids wanted to buy the wooden looms and actually
came up with the money. They had been saving all year! But they took them
home with such pride and would show me what they wove the next year. Also
the older kids come in the class and help me warp up for the younger kids
now.