RE: About Printing with Linoleum?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Wed, 13 May 1998 09:57:36 -0400

I agree with Sandra about the lack of dexterity practice in young
children, but I see it even in high schoolers. They have difficulty
holding a ruler to draw a straight line and cutting accurately.
As far as Bob's comment about high schoolers cutting themselves
in spite of instruction, I think part of it has to do with the typical
adolescent invincibility. I know when I go around and remind them to
move their hands behind the tools, I invariably get, "I won't slip; I
won't cut myself" (they are usually the ones who do). I have had a
better safety record with sixth graders.
Still, I think it is important to a high school program to teach relief
prints and proper use of tools-in fact, both are included in our state
course of study. Linda in NC