Re: Adinkra

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John Bibby, QED of York, York, England (qed)
Wed, 13 May 1998 15:09:11 +0000

On 13 Apr 98 at 13:29, Louise wrote:

> According to Jo Schuman in "Art from Many Hands", Adinkra cloth is
> printed with symbols using brown paint (which was originally made
> from rusted iron). The cloth is worn to funerals as a way of saying
> good bye.

>From my tiem in Ghana I recall that Adinkra is much broader than that.

Also, it's only one among a wide range of pattersn and styles,
including Kenti which is woven and phenomenally expensive.

I personally used to like the deep indigo tie-died cloths from
Western Nigeria, which incorporated shells. leaves. beans etc thus
giving a lot of lovely natural motifs.

There's a good book published by the British Museum entitled (?)
"African Textiles". I'me sure we could get it for you if you wish.

There's also a nice book of postcards (Pomegranate?) which I saw the
last time I was in the US.

Greetings from England!

JOHN BIBBY
1 Straylands Grove
York YO31 1EB, England
Tel: 01904-424242 Fax: 01904-424381
Email: qed
For personal and school orders please contact
QED Welwyn office (0345-402275, Email QEDBooks)

QED can supply ALL your needs relating to mathematics education.