Re: About Printing with Linoleum?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Tue, 12 May 1998 18:02:42 -0500

I teach high school and have noticed an increasing number of my students
with little experience using hand tools. They spend plenty of their early
years in front of the TV, computer games, etc. but they lack experience with
knives and related equipment. As a result, I do not enjoy working with
them on the linoleum prints. Many of the students cut themselves in spite
of my constant reminders of not cutting toward their hands. We have a
linocut project in drawing and in Art I. The school nurse makes me use a
mixture of 10 parts water to 1 part clorox to clean the tools each time they
are used (Proctection against the transfer of AIDS and hepatitus from one
student to another when they are cut.) The Clorox mixture makes the knives
rust, so I have to oil them each time they are cleaned.

I suggest string prints, glue prints or cardboard prints for the younger kids.

Bob

At 07:54 PM 5/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Yes, I believe elementary school is to young for knives. Some really bad
>cuts could happen too easily.
>
> Not even thinking about liability issues.
>
>Retta in Kansas
>

>At 06:12 PM 5/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Quick question -- am I understanding this right, elementary kids making
>>print blocks from linoleum? I am a first year teacher, and the
>>classroom that I moved in to had linoleum blocks and the chisel type of
>>knifes (with wood handles). Can I use these with fifth grade (which is
>>my highest grade level)? I automatically thought they were too young.
>>Do any of you do this with elementary? Isn't it dangerous? Or not?
>>Thanks, Ciao!! Tiffany - STL, MO

Robert Fromme <rfromme> or <rfromme>