What is it like teaching art?/Couching

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Anitra Puntolillo (anitra)
Sat, 09 May 1998 05:04:39 -0400

This is such great information. I now understand the process and plan to try my hand at
couching with my students next year. The plasticine idea is great too!

Thanks for taking the time to explain this further.

I just realized your address says africa. Where? What's it like where you are? What are
your teaching conditions for art? Are you on a cart? What grades do you teach? What is the
teaching philosophy? For anyone else out there please share your situations.

I teach in New Jersey in the United States. Elementary Art K-5. The arts in the past have
been considered to be an extra and not as important as the 3 R's. Over the past year or
so I have seen a lot more respect for the arts. Our state has just adopted a plan that
emphasis the importance and value for the arts to all learning. In addition they have
adopted DBAE (Discipline Based Art Education-History, Criticism, Aesthetics and
Production) and Interdisciplinary teaching..

I presently teach in two schools. One school has a small room with a sink. In the other
school, I am on a cart from classroom to classroom. I manage to teach the same things on
and off the cart. I love teaching art and do not let the limitations of my situation
dictate how or what I should teach.

Thanks again for sharing

Anitra