Re: Couching over Plasticene

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Sat, 9 May 1998 00:02:12 +0300

Couching is a term for taking paper pulp off of a screen onto another
surface. It is a papermaking term. Printmaking is possible to do on
the plasticene - thanks for reminding me - it would be a nice
contrast to create the paper first and then ink the plasticene before
you put it back into the can. Couching refers to the part of
the process of creating paper after dipping a screen into a vat of
paper pulp (an old picture frame with screen door netting stretched across the surface
will do), and after letting the water drain off, you flip it over onto another
surface, removing the water, thereby creating handmade paper.
Couching is taking it off the screen. To couch or not to couch, that
is the question!

There are several good papermaking books that have pictures.
I hope this helps? Thanks for asking.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton

Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 05:20:12 -0400
From: Anitra Puntolillo <anitra>
To: ttipton.tz
Subject: Re: Couching over Plasticene

Hi, your idea has intrigued me but I am afraid I am a bit ignorant to couching.

What is it ? Are you printmaking off of the plasticine is the color from the
different colors of the plasticine, does it pick up the texture you carved in
the relief?

I agree with Lee, pictures would really help this one.

Thanks!