Re: Couching over Plasticene

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Wed, 6 May 1998 12:58:09 +0300

I have students make shapes from plasticene and put them onto
pieces of cardboard in the design they want. They then couch a piece
of paper separately onto a handiwipe. From there, you pick up the
couched paper on the handiwipe -
(you can pick it up and move it around without tearing or
destorying the paper unless there's too much water in it_ - and place
it over the plasticene. I use cardboard pieces for the backing because
I don't have access to plexiglas, but plexiglas is really the best.
It leaves an amazingly smooth surface texture around the shape
that cannot be achieved from any other material...When I was in the
states I could get plexiglas scraps free or very cheap from plastics
companies.

You sponge the paper over the shape from the back of the handiwipe.
Then as you lift up the handiwipe, help peel the paper off from the
handiwipe, leaving the paper over the form. I then use my fingers to
more firmly press into the details of the plasticene from what the sponge
didn't do. You have to keep in mind that the paper has to be thick if
the forms of the plasticene are 1/2 inch high or more. You can do the
multicolor process first and then couch over the plasticene. It's
also very effective to add bits of flowers etc. into the pulp on the
screen before it is couched, so that the final piece is a relief form
with lots of interesting surface textures/colors/shapes.

I have also squeezed out blobs of colored pulp and placed them over
the plasticene directly, making paper without a frame, using the
handiwipe and sponge over the top to squeeze out excess water. The
plasticene can be reused and is a good use for mixed up colors of
plasticene that get ugly from too much color mixing/use. The
handiwipes are very useful because
they can be thrown in the washing machine and cleaned up for next
use. They last quite a long time and are well worth the expense. I
have the students put a piece of masking tape on the handiwipe with
their name on it which helps later for easy identification. If you
are removing paper from the handiwipe when its dry, you can put the
tape on the back of the paper and sort by class. The tape
will pull up bits from handiwipe over time if it is left on there too
long and not removed afterwards, however. In this part of the world
they are called "J" cloths.

Does that help?

Thanks for asking!

Regards,