Re: Mother's day projects

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Tue, 5 May 1998 12:28:12 +0300

I have used this process by also making the image a positive by
taking pulp away from the screen. I recently have been getting
better results by couching both pieces separately onto a
handiwipe.

The student then "couches" one onto the other by picking up the
handiwipe and placing the second piece of paper over the first and
sponging from the back. This method works better from the
kindergarden through third grades who don't always let the water
drain out of their paper before they couch.

I have also been using shapes made from plasticene to
create relief forms, and the hand can also be made from plasticene
with the paper couched over it with either the one or two color
process. Actually, today, I had some fourth graders do this method
with three colors. Way cool!

Regards,
Teresa Tipton

From: Maahmaah <Maahmaah>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 22:59:33 EDT
To: Artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: Mother's day projects

Well, I use to be a purist and cringe when I heard of "projects" for Hallmark
holidays--but, I look at it in a very different way now. I figure that
ANYTHING that brings art (quality, of course) to kids and their parents is
good. You shouldn't need an excuse to make art, but in most school systems
nowadays it seems you won't survive unless you do.

One thing I have done with children (and adults) that can be a great
mother's/father's day gift is a handprint on handmade paper. Papermaking can
be tied into other subjects, is multicultural, environmental, craft and fine
art, applicable for grades K-12....

This particular lesson is done by having the student pull a piece of paper and
setting it aside. Using a different colored vat the student pulls another
piece of paper with their open hand pressed against the mould screen acting as
a resist for the pulp. This piece is not couched but instead placed face down
on the first paper. Now they have their handprint. Sponge and couch.

I usually let these dry out and mount them on a larger piece of matt board
with glue. Then I tape a soda can tab to the back so the parents can hang it.
These turn out wonderfully.

-Lee