Re: Another Rainstick idea

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Tue, 5 May 1998 12:32:28 +0300

We just made rainsticks from empty Pringle cans, a commodity food
item just recently available in Dar es Salaam since this fall.
Students filled them with a variety of beans (not much fishtank
gravel sold...), painted them with a mixture of tempera and glue so
that bits and pieces of other material could be added. Some chose to
attach crepe paper and yarn for streamers
along with a variety of glitter, foils, cellophane, etc. Not exactly
traditional, but the second graders loved them all!

Regards,
Teresa Tipton
From: DaynaB62 <DaynaB62>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 14:35:46 EDT
To: wsauls, anitra, flanagans@stateline-isp.com
Cc: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: Another Rainstick idea

Wendy,

Traditional rainsticks have been made from (old) and dried copado cactus,
which is called normata, from the deserts of South America, Southwest US,
Africa, etc...... the hollow tubes are used with cactus spines to make the
inside matrix, and pebbles are used for the musical sound for the "rain
ceremonies." Some are made from wood and bamboo as well.

For the fillings, I gave my students a choice of what they thought best:
Rice, beans, birdseed, fishtank gravel, or a mixture of all 4. Most felt the
fishtank gravel sounded the most like a soft rainfall! Only a few scant
ounces,,,,

There is a good children's storybook about the rainsticks in Africa. I will
find it and let you know.

Dayna