Re: Need self directed projects for fast workers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 03 May 1998 14:57:28 -0400

Stenger - Judith DiSalvo wrote:

> I have a box labeled NEAT STUFF FOR EARLY FINISHERS. It contains
> directions for origami,tangrams, macrame, and some paperback drawing books
> on cartooning, drawing monsters, animals, perspective, etc. I also have a
> cabinet full of still life odds and ends that I've picked up at secondhand
> stores. Those who finish may get an object and do observational drawings.
> School Arts sometimes has a hand out page you may copy. My middle
> schoolers are responsible for 24 sketchbook assignments per
> semester, so they can work on those. And computer time is always
> popular. I insist they work only on art programs.
> It does take a while to organize the materials, but it really is worth it.
> Good wishes,
> Judy

I probably agree with this answer the most. I've been thinking
awhile
also about this topic. Since I mostly have worked with grammar age
and haven't had the problem of overcrowding it hasn't come up.
Somewhere around third grade I'd get a few boys who would finish
early. If they take their time and evaluate the lesson how could
they not fill up an hour?
I guess I was one of those kids who loved art and couldn't get
enough of it so always wanted more. I think I would stipulate that
whatever they did after the lesson would have to deal with art.
I like the idea of filling the time with books on art,games on art
and
doing still life drawing. One can always improve with the skill of
drawing although.I also like the required drawings idea.Since not
everyone has the luxury of computers in art class I wouldn't touch
on that. Perhaps getting a pottery wheel or loom would benefit this
time.
I know there are table looms out their as well.
I forgot all about the spelling comment since this person is also
filtered but I didn't notice any errors and so what.
*Remember we are ignoring certain grumpy types which are only here
to pick a fight.

Sandra