Re: [Fwd: DBAE guidelines page 2]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jane Shiflett Manner (jmanner)
Sun, 03 May 1998 12:08:03 -0400

At 01:31 PM 5/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
...this was our interpretation of DBAE,to
>help us write a lesson on an Artist that wasn't already available.
>For those of you who are primarily Art teachers you can just do
>the section on Production if you like...

Sandra,

Thanks for the information. I got both pages.

For what it's worth any "primarily Art teacher" who doesn't address
history, asethetics, and criticism along with production is a least a
decade behind the times. More may be attempted, but the DBAE "four" are
and have been "in" for quite some time. Multiculturalism, in its many
guises, is also very much "in" and should be addressed in the same
four-fold manner. Because it is easier to just present hands-on projects,
some art teachers may not pursue the art historical, cultural, reasoning
(Feldman's cubing type writing), and judgement but THEY SHOULD! If those
teachers would start to incorporate all the disciplines, they might find
how quickly their students adapt and how insightful they become. Students
moving from a program which is just production (high school) to a DBAE
program may balk at first, but they soon become proficient at writing
critiques and in voicing their thoughts on aesthetics.

I know your lesson was intended for a younger group than I teach, but the
art teachers at the three middle schools that feed into my school often
ask me for suggestions on what will better prepare their students for high
school art. This lesson you shared will definitely be passed on to them.

Thanks again,

Jane