Re: Need self directed projects for fast workers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Wendy Manning (wmanning)
Sun, 03 May 1998 12:20:36 -0300

SPranno wrote:

> I have each class 1X a week (30-34 in class). I have some fast producers in gr
> 5-8. Please send me your ideas on what you do with them when they ask what's
> next, when the rest of class needs an additional 3 weeds on the current
> project? I need something SELF DIRECTED.
> I have tried the following, but wasn't satisfied with these solutions:
> 1. Make a 2nd project with the same media as current project
> 2. Give each kid 1 on 1 instruction, as they finish
> 3. Introduce the next project to the class at the start of class when 1 or 2
> are ready to move on
> 4. Introduce the next project repeatedly each week, while many are still on
> the last project
> 5. Wait until 3/4 of the class has turned in the current project, and then
> introduce the new project. (1/4 abandon current project, even with posted
> class charts with projects listed and checked off)
> 6. Free choice Drawing with resource pictures

My teaching situation is very similar to yours. I've tried all your
solutions and most of Mary B's (except I haven't put the choices on a
poster and don't have a computer in the classroom).Haven't come up with
a magic solution yet.Some things work for some kids, others with others.
Some kids like to go to the cafeteria and and decorate it according
to a theme (seasonal or something requested by the cafeteria people).
I also have a supply of what we call "toys", which have some artistic
component, for when all other possibilities are exhausted. These are
from yard sales or stuff my own kids have outgrown: lego, Construx, Zax,
tangrams, spirograph, Geosafari with art cards, that sort of thing. They
don't come out very often but are always appreciated.
By the way, after reading that snide remark about checking your
spelling, I reread your posting and found one whole typo. Sheesh! Some
people need to get a life.
Wendy

In addition