Re: Student teaching

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Sun, 3 May 1998 09:54:15 -0400 (EDT)

I have found the splitting of student teaching difficult for both coop
teacher and student teacher, but that is the system. I have only had three
student teachers in my long career and what I would expect is that the
student teacher try to work within the curriculum already started and not
be too intent on doing something that requires the coop teacher to plunge
in and do alot of extra work. For example, I am developing a sequence on
the figure for my Art II students and want to do drawing from the model in
various media, then from a skeleton, then paintings and prints from the
original drawings. I would be happy if my student teacher I will get in
the fall will bring her own ideas to this unit but not want to stop what
sequence I have started to do something totally unrelated. Does this make
sense to you?

Also, I would expect that the student teacher would make sure she/he
shares in the clean up and work in the room. The time is short and
therefore I would like the projects/lessons to be ones that can be
finished before the teacher leaves or can be easily finished afterwards.
When the young teacher has his/her first job, he/she can try all manners
of ideas. however, I do like to see different approaches and have worked
with the student teachers. Sometimes too ambitious projects become
unwieldy.

I would expect that the young teacher has a pleasant manner and is willing
to listen to advice. In the high school setting the young teacher should
be friendly with the students but not "a friend" ; in other words not get
their phones numbers or plan on social events with them even though there
is only a few years difference in age.
(I found out too late that a student teacher I had had gave his phone
number to one of the female students. Totally inappropriate.)
Realize that you can't burn the world down in eight weeks and try to stay
calm. REalize that the coop teacher does have some good ideas and is
willing to help or wouldn't have taken on a student teacher as sometimes
things are disrupted.Also, you will make a good impression if you help
with all the small details to keeping an art room organized.
Fran