Re: Need self directed projects for fast workers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Sat, 02 May 1998 21:51:18 -0500

SPranno wrote:

> I have each class 1X a week (30-34 in class). I have some fast producers in gr
> 5-8. Please send me your ideas on what you do with them when they ask what's
> next, when the rest of class needs an additional 3 weeds on the current
> project? I need something SELF DIRECTED.

HI,
I run into the same problem and I'm sure others do too. I have a poster in the
front of my room that gives the kids choices of things to do if they finish
early. This way when kids come up to me with that " what should I do now?"
question , I just point to the poster. I've listed some of the things the kids
can do:
free art ( chose any materials from a labeled tub of miscellaneous stuff to do
extra kinds of art
& keep scrap paper near by)
art games ( like Art Memo, famous picture puzzles, tangrams)
art books ( Magic Eye, How to Draw..., Cartooning)
art worksheets
computer( Kid Pix)
Sometimes depending on the kid I have special projects , for example I had a
number of kids working on a mural of the inside of our school drawing kids in the
building and I was to put in the drawing of the principal (like a Where's Waldo
picture) and they would have to find him.
Well ,I hope that gives you some ideas. Most of the time the poster works for
me. If I know I have 1/2 the kids done and others are not finished I show an art
video on one side of the room. Also , weaving keeps them busy. Good luck!

PS. The miscellaneous stuff in my Art Tub is colored pencils, specialty markers
(under writers, crazy writers) sparkle crayons, scented crayons, oil pastels and
watercolors.
Also, kids love the computer so much some are just willing to watch another work
on it.

Artfully,
MaryB.