Re: Gang-related "art"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Sat, 31 May 1997 10:01:04 -0700 (PDT)

What's missing in this discussion about gang-related art for me is the
power of the symbol and the meanings attached to it. Symbols, afterall,
are a part of visual language and language is a symbol system. Things that
are banned instead of dealt with may be buried only to surface in new
ways/areas. If we want to reach these students with a message beyond a
punitive one, it seems to me that we need to ENGAGE in INQUIRY with the
underlying meanings the symbols evoke; why certain symbols are chosen
for certain effects and generalize the discussion beyond gang-specific
symbols to this entire realm of our brains that creates symbols and
attaches meaning to them.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton