Re: Gang-related "art"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lorena Nalin (nalin)
Sat, 31 May 1997 08:44:31 -0700 (MST)

I am certainly far from expert on this topic, but as far as I know (an this
may be regional in interpretation) the eight-ball is drug related -
heroin; the ying/yang is also drug related. Comedy/tragedy masks (laugh
today, cry tommorrow) is gang related.

According to our gang prevention expert, There are some other large ganster
groups that use stars (five and six points) top hat, cane, & white gloves.
I'm sure there are a host of others and they are very "for the moment".
Some of these groups may not be in your community, so it would be best to
investigate what gangs are dominate in your city.

I hate to have such fragmented information, hope it helps.

Lorena Nalin
Tucson

>Lorena and others:
>
>I'd be interested in knowing what is considered "gang symbols", because . . .
>
>Last year, in a new teaching assignment, the eight-ball, yin-yang, peace,
>alien faces, and NIKE were all symbols my 5/6th grades students would turn
>to when doing ANY designing project. I, personally, was fed up with it and
>banned all from any art project this year. However, each student keeps a
>sketch book in class, and they can (if they finish work early), doodle
>whatever they want in it--as long as it's not obscene, etc. My reasoning
>for the ban was that these symbols were not their creations and the NIKE
>symbol was in fact a copy-righted design. Many grumbles, but they've been
>pretty good about keeping it off their art assignments.
>
>This past week is the last I'll see of them, so for a quickie end of the
>year assignment I held a "Yin-Yang Yo, Peace Out, and NIKE It Day" for this
>grade level. They had to pick one symbol, and come up with four different
>functional or decorative uses for their chosen symbol. On the back of their
>paper they could doodle as many of these symbols as they wanted. We held a
>"share" time where each presented their ideas to the class. The first
>class (more competitive?) just had to vote on the most creative ideas, the
>second class was rather laid back, and today's class had a rip-roaring,
>applaude everyone time!
>
>Now I'm wondering which of these symbols are gang related??
>
>Cheryl
>
>On Wednesday, May 28th, Lorena wrote:
>>
>>The topic of gang symbols and tagging and other images came up and I would
>>be interested to know what other art teachers attend to regarding known
>>gang-related images,and do schools/districts have policies regarding such
>>issues.
>>
>>Awhile ago, I related the story of a student who was drawing such things as
>>the ying-yang, the "laugh today/cry tommorrow" comedy-tragedy masks, the
>>eight-ball and such and those drawings were confiscated, as per school
>>policy, and the parent called the newspaper demanding first-ammendent
>>rights and censureship of their artistic rights. The matter was resolved
>>quickly by the principal.
>>
>>For those districts adopting policies, what types of things are included?
>>
>>Lorena Nalin
>>Tucson, AZ

  • Reply: Teresa Tipton: "Re: Gang-related "art""
  • Reply: Stenger - Judith DiSalvo: "Re: Gang-related "art""