Gang-related "art"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ckart (ckupcin.ne.us)
Thu, 29 May 1997 23:26:31 -0600

Lorena and others:

I'd be interested in knowing what is considered "gang symbols", because . . .

Last year, in a new teaching assignment, the eight-ball, yin-yang, peace,
alien faces, and NIKE were all symbols my 5/6th grades students would turn
to when doing ANY designing project. I, personally, was fed up with it and
banned all from any art project this year. However, each student keeps a
sketch book in class, and they can (if they finish work early), doodle
whatever they want in it--as long as it's not obscene, etc. My reasoning
for the ban was that these symbols were not their creations and the NIKE
symbol was in fact a copy-righted design. Many grumbles, but they've been
pretty good about keeping it off their art assignments.

This past week is the last I'll see of them, so for a quickie end of the
year assignment I held a "Yin-Yang Yo, Peace Out, and NIKE It Day" for this
grade level. They had to pick one symbol, and come up with four different
functional or decorative uses for their chosen symbol. On the back of their
paper they could doodle as many of these symbols as they wanted. We held a
"share" time where each presented their ideas to the class. The first
class (more competitive?) just had to vote on the most creative ideas, the
second class was rather laid back, and today's class had a rip-roaring,
applaude everyone time!

Now I'm wondering which of these symbols are gang related??

Cheryl