Fwd: Re: The craft/art/"folk" thing again.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
betti longinotti (p-lstudio)
Thu, 29 May 1997 21:51:04 -0400

--WebTV-Mail-1364997590-267

I still think that there is more to "Craft" than process or skill. I
also think that the craft medium or what may be classified as a craft
can be closer to pure 'Art' than some paintings or other traditional art
mediums found within the commercial world.
Part of my own perspective comes of course from my own experience. As a
young art student in college I just could not understand why there were
differences and lines drawn between art and craft. To me everything I
had learned as a painter I could convey in stained glass, as my
room-mate could in a weaving. My first departures in stained glass were
interpretations of my paintings. Sometimes I still think people think
craft objects have to function in a certain way. Why does the medium of
a visual creation define it as Art or Craft?

Yours in Art & Life,
Betti L.
p-lstudio

--WebTV-Mail-1364997590-267