Re: Baggy pants

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stenger - Judith DiSalvo (jstenger)
Thu, 29 May 1997 19:13:27 -0400 (EDT)

I teach my kids that while no one likes censorship, the reality is that
the schoolhouse is not a democratic institution. I understand that baggy
pants and multi-layered pants, along with one leg rolled up, are fashions
which began in prison. In school, kids have been known to hide weapons
and drugs in their baggy clothing.
Just as parents have the final word on what symbols, icons, and
objects are permissible in their homes, I think schools have the
obligation to set standards for the educational setting. When you give the
message that "anything goes" ANYTHING GOES.
Judy