Re: DBAE and elements and principles

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Wed, 28 May 1997 12:28:18 -0600

At 04:01 PM 5/27/97 -0500, DG09 wrote:

>I think one of the problems in doing art criticism is that many art educators
>have very little background in multiple forms of criticism. To look at works
>of art using the elements and principles of design is certainly a formalist,
>western orientation to looking at art. To examine works of folk art using
>those elements and principles of design may be quite foreign to the intentions
>of the artist and the art itself.

Yes, but our "formalist, western orientation" also has its anomalies ....

We can take note of the de-materialization of the art object in the
Twentieth Century (First Dada and then Conceptual or Idea Art). When we
compare this direction with the more traditional directions, we realize that
the elements and principles are bound more to the object and less to the
idea (or content) of a work.

Art is an elusive phenomenon.

'Content' was thought of as apart from 'Form' until Abstract Expressionism.
With A.E. the Form became the Content. Go figure.....

Bob Fromme