Re: Middle School Art Teacher

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Chaney (lchaney)
Fri, 23 May 1997 20:58:03 -0500

Robert Sheffey wrote:

> Hi! We recently moved to Texas and I have just accepted a position as a
> middle school art teacher. I will be teaching 6,7, and 8th grade students
> who all will take art for 40 minutes a day for the full year. The students
> will have only had occasional art classes in elementary school.
> Prior to this, I taught high school art in Southwest Virginia. I would
> appreciate any information anyone could send me about age appropriate art
> for this group of students. What kind of things are important for them to
> learn to be ready for high school art?
> Thanks, Teresa Sheffey

My junior high students loved a unit on pop art. We studied the artwork
of Warhol, Lichtenstein, and others. Students created HUGE (3' high
min.) paper mache objects. They painted with acrylics. This project
was a hit.

I have also done a project where we study 19th century architecture.
Students build a store from this time period. (general store, dame
shoppe, broom maker, jail, bank, candle shoppe, blacksmith, etc...).
The building is made from corrigated boxes all cut up. Buildings stand
about 1 1/2' tall. We add lots of texture. Shingles from cardboard,
sawdust grass, gravel roads, twigs for woodpiles, toothpick fences, ABC
noodles for signs. We paint the entire thing with black acrylic. We
drybrush copper acrylic on top of it all. The whole project takes about
8 weeks and ends up looking like a copper/tin building. VERY NICE
look!!! The project is from "Arts and Activities".

Students at this age level are very different from high school. Keep
them buisy or discipline will become a problem.

Good luck

Mel.