Re: Looking for Young Hong Kong Richard Serra and Eva Hesse

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Mon, 19 May 1997 11:03:14 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 17 May 1997, hopo chan wrote:

> I'm an art teacher in Hong Kong.
>
> Students, or I may say most people, in Hong Kong, have the concept
> that art must be aesthetically pleasing and figurative. Sculptures by
> Richard Serra and Eva Hesse may be regarded as nonsense and crazy. Most
> of them accept only traditional sculptures such as those by Rodin.
>
> Do you have any methods to solve the problems?

While it might be nice if ALL art were accepted and appreciated I'm unsure
that this thought ought to be a general expectation of art education.

For myself, were I in your classroom, I think I would be happy enough if,
for most students, I got across the notion that it makes for a more
interesting world to have different points of view and that works like
Serra's and Hesse's were highly respected in some places and that the
aesthetics or critical perspectives that lead some people to value such
work were this thing and that thing.

>From my perspective, some people really enjoy milk and smelly cheeses and
others like chicken feet and snake. Generally we like most that which we
are most familiar with and, more than anything else it is familiarity
which determines the qualities we choose to justify in our aesthetics and
critical theories.

Sometimes just getting people to open up enough to accept that OTHER
people like or prefer something can be a pretty big victory. It's good, I
think, to respect both traditions here even if one cannot really enjoy both.

-henry