Fwd: Re: exploratory subjects

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
betti longinotti (p-lstudio)
Wed, 14 May 1997 18:48:11 -0400

--WebTV-Mail-1478046214-59

Hello RW and all! Way back when middle schools frist entered our school
system, Art was then the only exploratory course. Year by year
additional courses were added, til now we have a wheel of many
offerings. Originally all students in th 6th grade had Art. Now 'most'
6th graders have Art , but not all students, and likewise in the 7th
grade. 8th grade Art is more of a 'selective'. The two different
courses offered in the 7th and 8th make it more attractive for students
to want to take Art, and to serve as many as possible. We have all the
problems of class sizes being too large, but we are fortunate to have
full time Art positions in all our middle schools. That is not the case
with all exploratory course teachers.

Yours in Art & Life,
Betti L.
p-lstudio

--WebTV-Mail-1478046214-59

From: RWilk85411
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 05:55:41 -0400 (EDT)
To: p-lstudio
Subject: Re: exploratory subjects

Do all middle school students take art every year? If not they are still
missing a lot. In many middle school situations, most students do not take
art after the sixth grade. I like what you are doing. And I think that most
teachers are doing similar things to cope with the situation. However it
remains that art education dies off after the sixth grade.

--WebTV-Mail-1478046214-59--