Re: Garbled no more!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
R. Voyles (rvoyles)
Mon, 12 May 1997 23:50:43 -0700

> From: henry <taylorh>
> To: Sheridanpa
> Cc: artsednet
> Subject: Re: Received as garbled?
> Date: Monday, May 12, 1997 11:48 AM
>

> Not all e-mail programs can handle attachments of Microsoft WORD
> documents. Mine doesn't either. Anyone care to forward it back to the
> list and NOT as an attachment?
>
> -henry

Henry and Artsednet subscribers. The abovementioned "attachment" is below,
resubmitted and NOT as an attachment.

Enjoy...

Ruth Voyles
Art Educator
The Toledo Museum of Art
The University of Toledo

Curriculum Issues-Educational Journal Assignment
One Lesson Plan Based upon DBAE

Topic: Interior Painting - After the Leaving of " "

Level: F.1 Students

Time: 160mins (4 periods)

Objectives:
Students will:
1. Recognise the different perspective concepts of Egyptian painting and
European
painting. ( Art criticism, Art history, Aesthetics)
2. Observe that there is difference between reality and visual effect in
painting -
something closer looks bigger, something far away looks smaller. (Art
criticism,
Art history, Aesthetics)
3. Discover the characteristics of pastels and poster colours. (Art
criticism, Aesthetics,
Art production)
4. Create an interior painting from realistic to dramatic by imagination.
(Art
production)

Materials: white cartridge paper, poster colours, pastels, painting tools

Art Resources:
Slides:
1. Amenemheb of Thebes, his wife and daughter fowling in the marshes, tomb
painting, c.1400 B.C.
2. Raphael: The School of Athens, fresco, 1510-1.
3. Van Gogh: Van Gogh's Bedroom at Arles, oil on canvas, 1888.

Vocabulary:
1. Perspective: The representation, on a two-dimensional surface, of three-
dimensional objects in space.
2. Water-base colours: Water-soluble pigments.
3. Oil-base colours: Pigments mix with oils which are not water-soluble.

Preparation:
Each student has to finish an interior drawing of his/her own house and
bring it to the class.

Motivation:
1. Check the student's drawing.
2. Ask: What difficulties did you find in doing your drawing at home?

Appreciation:
1. Look at slide 1:
Ask: What country's art work is this?
Ask: Can you describe what you see in the picture?
Ask: Can you say something about the artist's drawing technique?
2. Look at slide 2:
Ask: What do you see in the picture?
Ask: What are the differences between slide 1 and slide 2?
Emphasize on the perspective concepts of the two pictures and explain the
differences between Egyptian paintings and European paintings.
3. Look at slide 3:
Ask: What do you feel about this room?
Ask: Look at the bed. How did Van Gogh provide a 3D visual effect for
this bed?

1. Look at your own drawing. Is it too flat?
2. Teacher chooses one drawing from the students. Can you suggest some ways
improve this drawing's 3-dimensional visual effect?
3. Students may make some improvement about their own drawings' 3D effect.

Exploration:
1. Try different ways of using pastels. e.g. blending, scratching, etc...
2. Try to add poster colours on the marks that students have made by
pastels. Try to
use light colour, dark colour, thin colour, thick colour, etc...
3. Try to put pastels on wet and dry poster colours again.
4. Discuss the above exploration and the difference between water-base and
oil-base
colours.

Activity:
1. Imagine someone/something gets into your house. There are some dramatic
changes of your house after the person/thing has left.
2. Can you give me some examples and tell me what dramatic changes will
there be?
e.g. A Robber, the house is in a mess after the leaving of the robber.
Santa Claus, the house is full of Christmas gifts after the leaving of
Santa
Claus.
3. Students create an interior painting based upon the drawing which they
did at home
but change the situation by the above-mentioned imagination.
4. Students should use both pastels and poster colours in the paintings.

Evaluation:
1. Students post their paintings on the board.
2. Ask: Which one is your favourite painting? Why?
Which one provide the best 3D visual effect?
Teacher chooses three paintings. Can you guess who/what has just left
the
house?

- End -