Re: music and art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Blood-Pattersons (bloodpat)
Mon, 12 May 1997 22:29:02 -0400

MAN wrote:

> Hello Everyone!
> I've tried to used a piece of music to stimulate my students'
> imagination in the art lesson . But it happanened that most of them were
> very familiar with that piece of music, and is greatly limited their
> imagination. Do you have suggestions to help me solve this problem?
> Thank you for your help!
> >From Carmen.

Dear Carmen,
One can find different ways to experience even a very familiar
piece of music. I am a beginner in art education but have lots of
experience with children and music. I am so glad when teachers are
willing to experiment with using art and music together. It could be
that your students were tired of listening to the particular piece of
music you played, but it could also be that they need a little help
listening to it in a new way. For example, you could have them close
their eyes and draw while they listen, or draw upside-down, or let them
have their paint brushes "dance on the paper". You could only play part
of the song and have them draw what they didn't hear...working with
color and music is also a natural combination. Movement, dance, music
and art are wonderful compliments for each other and the classroom can
be such a fun place to explore the connections. Sometimes questions
about the unknown can ignite a child's curiosity and imagination much
more than the known. The familiar is important to us all, but what is
out there that can't be seen at first glance is what gets us wondering.
Good luck to you! --Annie