Re: kid as artist

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Gina Booth (ginab.ar.us)
Wed, 29 May 1996 10:03:25 -0500 (CDT)

"Are kids real artists?"

I think the unasked question there is,"Is this kid going to grow up to be
an artist?"

The response that I'll always recall is once a kid answered, "I'm an
artist NOW!"

Kids can be artists now, I mean gee, they're only kids. That 3-D talent
may transfer someday to be a surgeon (you can't really be a 10 year old
surgeon) the young house drawer to become an architect or engineer,
the sketch artist to become a botanical illustrator, the student with the
wacky ideas to invent some product or service, etc.

The point is that
art is a great
age appropriate way for youngsters to experience creative thinking and
hands on skills and techniques in ways that may apply to a later field of
study or just to a certain richness in their approach to living!

So to my way of thinking, it's GREAT for a kid to be an artist NOW!