Re: kid as artist

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Leon R. Nuell (lrnuell)
Wed, 15 May 1996 15:14:34 -0500 (CDT)

Whoever said it, "Well said!" and agreed to. Only in the most limited
way are kids masters. They do great, refreshing and wonderful work, but
they are kids. It's interesting to note that the number of prodigies
in visual art are few, and often just "shooting stars" in the greater
scheme of things. We throw words around in this world of ours as if they
hold no real meaning and by so doing confuse the hell out of a lot of folks.

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Dave wrote:

> I am glad someone else out there has raised the question of "are kids genuine artists when they create a masterpiece?" I feel some kids are gifted in the way they design thier compositions and they come up with good pieces of art more often than the average student; however, I see some kids that don't have a clue when they are creating as to what they are doing! I have seen kids in kindergarten create works that some adult artist only dream of, and that is the only piece that is of quality for the next 6 year even with me harping at them the rules of design! At a young age students are not concerned with what is right and what is wrong with a composition and if you have enough students over time you are bound to get a few masterpieces. So no I don't think these young artist should be considered masters.

  • Reply: Gina Booth: "Re: kid as artist"