Re: Art and culture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Fri, 10 May 1996 09:00:37 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 9 May 1996, sarah ann bowler wrote:

> I would also recommend Richar[d] Anderson's Calliope's Sisters. It
> studies the philosophies of art (ie: aesthetics) in other cultures.

I heartily endorse Anderson! Though getting my hands on a copy of
Calliope's Sisters has proven to be an enduring challenge for me. <VBG>
Another worthwile and recommended Richard L. Anderson book is
_Art_in_Small-Scale_Societies (1st ed.was Art in Primitive Societies)
which should be on the desk of any teacher dealing with art and
multicultural perspectives.

-henry