Re: Art and culture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Thu, 09 May 1996 10:29:48 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 9 May 1996, Suzanne M. Harp wrote:
> Could you also say WORLD?

Oh, Indeed Suzanne! A nice and important thing to include, thanks.

> >I just don't know... any suggestions out there?
>

> No, henry, no answers, just more questions: like Have you ever read any of
> Suzi Gablic's work? Specificly THE RE-ENCHANTMENT OF ART? I've been
> researching a way to teach a new art apprec. class to high school aged
> kids. I'd like to talk about the meaning of art in our culture. Perhaps,
> until we answer what meaning art has for us RIGHT NOW, we won't be able to
> answer your question:

I have not yet read as much Gablik as I need or ought.
"..RE-ENCHANTMENT..." is on my "list" but your recommendation and
reminder moves it into the top ten for the summer. :-)

I suspect that you might find that art has many many meanings in our
culture. It could be a problem unique to "supercultures" of great
diversity, extensive area, and many needs. Further I suspect that we will
have a greater need to begin through attempting to understand the meaning
of art in our own community, in our own "back yard" and respond to that
before responding any global\cultural consensus on meaning. We may need
some security and confidence in our own "local identity" and what such
identity means before we are prepared to comfortably confront a broader
culture of such identities. What I am arguing is that "our culture" may
be too large an entity to conform to, that we need to embrace "our
culture" in smaller bites.

> Gablic's view is that art needs to speak to the issues of a dieing planet.
> If a kid's soul is dieing in response to his/her environment, that might be
> a place to start. (?)

It sounds like a very good place, not the only one, but one well worth
try on for fit. Arguably, aesthetics begins in our confrontation with our
environment (natural or technical) in distinguishing what seems "right"
or maybe safe or even useful... a lot of possibilitys like that. :-)

Yeah, I have to pick up Gablik this summer. To return the favor you might
try Gregory Bateson's book, Mind and Nature, dense reading but worth
completing. His earlier book Steps to an Ecology of Mind is less focused
but demonstrates how Bateson thought of mind and its relationship to
ecologies.

-henry

  • Reply: sarah ann bowler: "Re: Art and culture"