Re: Art Education and Technology

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
JAMES H. SANDERS (jhsander)
Thu, 9 May 1996 10:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Marlin Murdock wrote:

> I am conducting a study about art education and technology and I could
> really use your input. Please consider the following questions. Thanks!
>
> 1. What are the pertinent issues in art education and technology?

To what end do we seek to use new technologies?

How does the use of new technologies (internet/WWW, CD ROM and interactive
programs, Graphic Art Prodcution tools, Art Historic and Aesthetic research
sites, Virtual Museums, etc.) strengthen (or weaken) our work in
education, our understanding of art's relationship with humanity?

Who will be able to use these tools? (IE - issues of class and the
unequal budgets and resources of schools - suggesting the possibility, if
not liklihood of the creation of new informational ghettos.)

At what cost will information be acquired? (IE - issues regarding
licensing and copyright laws, privatization of cultural properties -
including museum collections, research, archives, etc.)

Whose interests are served by these technologies? (IE if we are moving
into an information based economy, how will this change the role,
function and objectives of education and research universities, or the
work of art educators, critics and historians?)

How might these technologies marginalize or change the role, or our
understanding of physicality and tactility?

Will these technologies impact our ability to distinquish between
reproduction and creation? Will they change our understanding of
authorship?

Will the creation of virtual communities insulate our interactions with
differing points of views? If so, how will it contribute to greater
social, political or aesthetic polarization?

> 2. Who are the key people in art education and technology? > >

Consider looking at the contributors to this site, to the similar sites on
the Web - ArtsLine, ArtsWire, ArtsEdge, ArtsEdNet, etc...

The question I'd like to raise in response is, Who should be considered "key"
if the virtual claims of creating a global community, or the democratization of
information is to be taken seriously?

What are the economic, political and social objectives of our government's
promotion of new technologies?

Who are the critics of new technologies?
(consider the arguements of Neil Postman, Mark Slouka or Fritoj Capra)

What issues do they raise?
(loss of authentic action and distancing of social responsibility,
increasing insularization, dehumanization, loss of meaning, etc.)

Are we critically examining, and then acting on our concerns about
technologies?

What architectural empediments are being designed - or removed within
the project of building an information infrastructure?

As one privelged to have access, and utilize these technologies, I find
I've found it increasingly important to both promote and critque their
potential...

How does blind acceptance of these technologies suggest we might be
failing to address important ethical and philosophic questions about our
critical engagement with the physical reality in which we are embedded?

Thanks for opening this pandora's box...