Re: WPA information (fwd)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kathrine L Walker (klwalk)
Thu, 2 May 1996 09:41:26 -0500 (CDT)

We have a fairly good collection of works by Regional Artists, but not a
lot directly related to the WPA. The following listings are from
Regionalist Art by Mary Scholz Guedon, Scarecrow Press, 1982.

I can give you the names of some lesser known Kansas artists involved in
the WPA. William Dickerson (1904-1972) Wichita and Mary Huntoon
((1896-1970) Topkeka, were in charge of the graphic arts division.
Margaret Whittemore (b. 1897) Topeka was involved in a Museum in the
Schools print project.

The Brooklyn Museum in New York has several murals that are from the WPA.

The Department of the Interior has two large murals by John Steuart Curry
entitled "The Homestead" and "Rush for Oklahoma Land -1889" painted in
1938. He painted the murals for Dept. of Justice 1936-37. You can
probably get slides, repros from the depts.

Grant Wood was appointed Director of the Public Works of Art Porject in
Iowa in 1934. During this time the Iowa State University Library murals
were painted. He was featured as cover story in Time Magazine in 1934 on
U.S. Scene Painting.

O.Connor, Francis V., ed. Art for the Millions, Greenwich: New York
Graphic Society, 1973

--------- The New Deal Art Porjects: An Anthology of Memoirs, Washington,
DC, Smithsonian Insitution Press, 1972.

Cahil, Holger New Horizons in American Art, New York: Museum of Modern
Art, 1936 (exhibition catalog)

U.S. Treasury Dept. Public Works of Art Project, National Exhibition of
Art by the Public Works of Art Project, April 24 1934 to May 20, 1934
(exhibition catalog)

Hope some of this is helpful!
Kathrine Walker, Beach Museum of Art, Kansas State University