Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: May 29, 2011

---------

From: Julie Cardillo (juliecardillo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 30 2011 - 10:44:06 PDT

Hi Maggie,

What an interesting and exciting experience for you. I am not sure how
much advice I can give because I haven't taught in the regions you are
in, but I am a practicing artist with an MFA, I have taught all levels
of painting, drawing, design and World Art History at the University
level as well as grades 7-12. I would be happy to go over a few
thoughts with you, but I would need to know what role religion plays
in your area. This, obviously is critical for art instruction.

Here is my email  juliecardillo@gmail.com

Julie

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Julie Cardillo <juliecardillo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Maggie,
>
> What an interesting and exciting experience for you. I am not sure how much advice I can give because I haven't taught in the regions you are in, but I am a practicing artist with an MFA, I have taught all levels of painting, drawing, design and World Art History at the University level as well as grades 7-12. I would be happy to go over a few thoughts with you, but I would need to know what role religion plays in your area. This, obviously is critical for art instruction.
>
> Here is my email  juliecardillo@gmail.com
>

> Julie
>
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 3:01 AM, TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest <teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu> wrote:
>>
>> TEACHERARTEXCHANGE Digest for Sunday, May 29, 2011.
>>
>> 1. New job on the horizon, need advice!

>> Subject: New job on the horizon, need advice!
>> From:  <mwhite139@cox.net>
>> Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 16:10:53 -0500
>>
>> Greetings, all,
>>
>> I have recently been hired to teach art at a school in Muscat, Oman.  After three years teaching English in Quito, Ecuador, I'm thrilled beyond words to 1) teach art again, 2) live in a warm climate again, and 3) live in a coastal city for the first time--good scuba diving there!
>>
>> I will be serving as department head as well as teaching, and that's where I could use some help.   The adminstration is anxious for me to raise the standards of the department to more inquiry-based instruction rather than the rote learning that seems to prevail.  I'll probably be using the Cambridge (U.K.) international standards as a base, but I certainly don't want to come in and change everything at once.  As a Western female, new to the school, with a small department of mostly local men and women teachers, I'll have to tread lightly and I guess implement small changes.
>>
>> Has anyone ever come in as an outsider in this position, and what advice can you give me so the teachers will buy into a curric/standards new to them?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Maggie
>> (please remove my email address in the reply--I don't want to be a partner to the spam we've had lately)
>>

>> ---
>>
>> END OF DIGEST
>>
>> ---
il.com