RE: [teacherartexchange] Maggie

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 30 2011 - 05:58:03 PDT

Beth gives excellent advice.

I wasn't going to respond, because quite frankly I don't know much about OMAN, so that said if I were going there, I would spend the first year learning about OMAN, especially in light of it's embrace of Islam which could restrict WHAT you teach as an art teacher. I would also try to figure out how the notion of "women" are perceived and observe how I could work within the "system" to get my voice heard. I would most probably would find a women's group (informal or formal) and find the power in being a woman in OMAN. I would think that would help in your negotiations/manimpulations/leadership style.

Without being an alarmist, I would also talk to someone at the consulate in OMAN about any concerns they might have for your tenure there. I embrace your sense of adventure, but I believe in being cautious in life, and always having a plan B.

San D