RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: May 23, 2011

---------

From: Pesoat, Lynn-NBCT (lynn.pesoat_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 24 2011 - 06:28:13 PDT

I teach in a system that includes two other high schools and we combined efforts on a common Art 1 final exam that combines both written portions on vocab and artists to know. We each have different teaching styles and design our own programs so we use it as we wish. I used some of the artists and two of the activities along with all of the vocab questions. I also added some artists and took away some for my Drawing and Painting class. So I ended up with 20 vocab questions and 10 artist questions for 30 points then allowed them to pick 2 of the four performance questions to draw. This fit into our 1 1/2 hour block. I have a separate test for my Sculpture and Pottery class. Here it is:
Art Final Name _____________________________ Class Block _____
1. ___ An obvious difference between two elements in an artwork is
form.
contrast.
texture.
pattern.
2. ___ The elements of art are...
the primary, secondary, and intermediate colors displayed on the color wheel.
line, shape, form, value, color, space, and texture.
harmony, balance, unity, variety, repetition, pattern, contrast, rhythm, movement, emphasis, and proportion.
painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, ceramics, photography, and collage.
3. ___ What the artwork expresses about the human experience is referred to as
subject matter.
content.
an hypothesis
speculation
4. ___ The four stages of art criticism are
description, evaluation, marketing, and judgement.
preparation, building, decoration, and presentation.
description, analysis, interpretation, and evaluation.
observation, sketching, production, and evaluation.
5. ___ Art fills a variety of purposes besides expression of feelings, ideas, emotions, or for decoration. Which of the following are a reason for creating art?
a. Persuasive artworks promote ideas, philosophies, or products.
b. Narrative artworks tell stories or document events.
c. Functional artworks are created to be used.
d. Ceremonial artworks are created to support worship ceremonies and/or to be used in rituals or celebrations.
e. All of the above.
B, c, and d.
 6. ___ Non-Western Cultures include the following
Islam, Asia, Native American cultures before Columbus, Africa, Greece.
Islam, Pre-Columbian Americas, Africa, India, China, Japan, and Southeast Asia.
Islam, Asia, European, Africa, and Pre-Columbian Americas.
7. ___ When elements on each side of the centerline are not arranged equally and appear to have a “felt” balance it is
a. repetition.
b. pattern.
c. focal point.
asymmetrical.
8. ___ Art that has color. line, shape, texture but no recognizable subject matter is
a. abstract/non-objective.
b. realistic.
c. stupid.
expressionistic.
9. ___ A work of art showing an arrangement of objects that cannot move on their own is a
a. landscape
b. portrait
c. drawing
still life
10. ___ Landscapes, portraits, and still-lifes are the painting’s
a. elements.
b. principles.
c. style.
subject matter.
11. ___ Drawing attention to important areas in a work of art is
a. Emphasis.
b. Contrast.
c. Process.
Texture.
12. ___ Papier Mache and Ceramics are types of this kind of art…
a. Sculpture.
b. Drawing.
c. Painting.
Printmaking.
13. ___ The concepts that guide artists in creating and organizing their work are…
a. Values
b. Forms
c. Principles
Focal Point
14. ___ An artwork that shows something as it really looks is called:
a. abstract
b. realistic
c. non-objective
impressionistic
15. ___ A lot of Islamic art is abstract in nature, especially any art on the walls of mosques because Mohammed was opposed to idolatry, the worship of false gods. These abstract designs are called
minaret.
arabesque.
graphic design.
creative.
16. ___ Space and shapes around and behind a “figure” or subject in a two dimensional artwork is considered
positive space.
negative space or ground.
foreshortening.
organic.
 17. ___ Progressive rhythm is where the motif is
changes gradually every time it is repeated.
changes every second time it is repeated.
remains the same every time it is repeated.
 changes every third time that it is repeated.
18. ___ An open organic form is
a form made up of pyramids and cubes with holes going through it.
a naturally shaped form with holes going through it.
an artwork that shows a lot of space in nature.
an artwork with no recognizable images.
19. ___ Equal balance on each side of the center line is
a. Repetition.
b. Pattern.
c. Focal Point.
Symmetrical.
20. ___ What is the term for the way a surface looks or feels?
a. texture.
b. form.
c. shape.
line.
Famous Artist Matching-Use the descriptions on the next page to match an artist on this page.
21._____Claude Monet
22._____John Constable
23._____Georgia O’Keefe
24._____Gustave Courbet
25._____Auguste Rodin
26._____Jacob Lawrence
27._____Vincent van Gogh
28._____Francisco Goya
29._____Andy Warhol
30._____Eduourd Manet
31._____Pablo Picasso
32._____Frank Lloyd Wright
33._____Dorthea Lange
34._____Jacques-Louis David
35._____Mary Cassatt
36._____Rembrandt
37._____Leonardo da Vinci
38._____Michelangelo
39._____Caravaggio
40._____Thomas Jefferson
Match these descriptions to the artists on the previous page.

a.Realism Movement artist whose work focused on the common man/woman.
b.Impressionist sculptor known for “The Thinker” and “The Kiss”.
c.Spanish Court painter who examined violence, greed, and foolishness of society during Romantic Era.
d.Father of Impressionism known for using “daubs” of paint called “broken color” capturing light at various times with subjects like water lilies, haystacks, and cathedrals.
e.Painted British landscapes during Romantic Movement.
f.Pop artist who focused on celebrities and everyday objects of mass production.
g.American architect famous for incorporating the building into the environment.
h.Father of Modern Art because his work, spanning over 70 years, started and influenced various modern styles and techniques like cubism and collage.
i.American artist famous for her large scale abstractions of flowers and other natural forms.
j.This realist artist focused on the cities and people of the Industrial age and bridged the gap between Realism and Impressionism.
k.Post Impressionist artist who used swirling brushstrokes of bright colors to express his emotions.
l.Contemporary artist whose work reflects the African American experience.
m.Italian Baroque artist who captured realistic dramatic depictions using chiaroscuro-bold contrast of light/dark.
n.Neoclassical architect with Greek and Roman influences reflecting ideas of newly independent United States.
o.Distinctive Neoclassical painting style associated with the French Revolution.
p..Known as the “Renaissance man” because he was skilled in many areas including painting, architecture, botany, design, anatomy, music, math, engineering...
q.American photographer of migrant workers during the Depression.
r.Sculpted the “Pieta”, “David”, “Moses”, and spent four years painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
s.American Impressionist whose main subject matter was mothers and children.
t.Dutch Baroque artist who painted and created etchings of religious themes, nature, and many self portraits.
This third section is the performance based portion of the Final. Take a 12 x 9 sheet of paper and fold it in half vertically so that you have two equal sections. Use colored pencils to draw two of the following assignments to the best of your ability. Use your time wisely dividing it so that you have time for all four drawings using colored pencil. Make sure to write your full name and class block on the back of the drawing.
-Draw a color wheel in a creative radial design illustrating the proper order of the primary, secondary, and intermediate colors.
-Use contour line to draw a cylindrical man-made object, like a cup or a roll of paper towels (showing the top and bottom foreshortened) and an organic object, like a leaf or shell. Use hatching and crosshatching to add value and texture showing the shadows cast by the objects as well as the shadows on the objects. Make sure to consider your composition and use the full drawing area for the objects. Use value in the background with a blending technique and color it using a monochromatic color scheme.
-Create a design that shows approximate symmetry, uses a combination of organic and geometric shapes, and uses warm colors in the foreground and cool colors in the background.
-Draw a place, real or imaginary, that shows a plant, animal, or object in the foreground and a similar plant, animal or object in the background using size, placement, color, detail, texture, and converging lines to show depth. Add color using an analogous color scheme.
Answer key-b,b,b,c,e,b,d,a,d,d,a,a,c,b,b,b,a,b,d,a,d,e,i,a,b,l,k,c,f,j,h,g,q,o,s,t,p,r,m,n

I have taken out any extra spacing for this to take up less space-it makes 6 pages without the answer key. I make the kids stay quiet while they take the written part and have them turn it in before starting the performance part. I rearranged the questions for study guides and the students have done well with it.