Re:[teacherartexchange] inappropriate emails - a Post Script

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 16 2011 - 09:02:46 PDT

Greetings All,

All of us can help reduce the amount of inappropriate emails by
remember to remove member email addresses before we click "Send".
Email bots harvest email addresses that get posted online. Some who
have that software even re-post them online elsewhere making it easier
for other folks to also send spam. I found a site that is just a list
of email that have been posted on the web. Since they are public
record, I guess they think everyone wants them used to be send Spam?

Since Spam filters are getting better and better, the Spammers have
taken to spoofing email address of member of list serves - thinking
list mail would come through as allowed. I assure you, the members
themselves are not sending the Spam. My previous Gmail address had
been spoofed so many times, I stopped using it. My Yahoo address has
been spoofed, but you folks didn't get it as I don't use it to post to
the lists.

The only reason we don't get more junk mail here is that the spoofers
haven't figure out that they have to send their junk in Plain text.
Since a lot of spam is automated somehow, it probably is sent using
html - which Getty blocks.

NEVER click a link in an email unless you are 100% sure it is a
trusted source. Clicking links downloads malicious software (spyware
or viruses) to your machine.

Thanks Mark - and Ellen - for bringing this to the attention of the
group. There is no way right now to block the junk - and I doubt Getty
will remove members whose email address has been compromised. It is
usually only temporary - sending out just one or two from the same
address. The spammer only sent one from my Yahoo address.

Regards,

Judy

As always - Remove me email address before you click "Send" - and
Digest users, remove the Digest before you click "Send". Some of our
most valuable members know that their information is important enough
to get out there to all, that they continue to post regardless of how
careless members are. My words of wisdom are already out there. I post
very little now. I don't have time to deal with Spam any more -- and
don't like seeing my own name/email attached to the garbage that is
sent.