Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] What is your Art Budget

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 13 2011 - 15:58:21 PDT

I'm retired and did not teach elementary - but I'll give some advice.
When you go to the principal - go prepared with facts in hand. He
or she needs to realize what sort of usage demands a hands on
curriculum requires. Have an estimate of how much paper, clay,
paint, crayons, etc you go through in an average school year. Have
the cost of materials in hand with prices from vendors or the district
storeroom to show. Aim high, but be realistic - so they can meet you
half way.

Also - if other teachers want your department to do things for the
they should come up with supplies from their funds - It's only fair.
Perhaps the PTA can supplement your budget - or find businesses
in the community to pitch in.

I taught Middle School and had a total budget of about $1400 for the
I served about 130 students each semester. But, then that was over
eight years ago.

                        Best of Luck, Woody

On May 13, 2011, at 4:27 PM, Kimberly Butts wrote:

> Hi everybody. I was signed up for TeacherArtExchange many years ago
> and sorta lost touch and stopped posting or reading posts. I would
> really like to get back into the loop now if I can.
> I have been at a new school for nearly 2 years now and I have a budget
> of $100 to fund an art program for about 350+ students. The art room
> (somehow) seemed pretty well stocked when I got there so I have been
> trying to just use what we already had. However, I have found that by
> funds are gone just replacing dried up markers and stubby crayons each
> year. I turn my big art show into a fundraiser by working with Kids
> Art Fairs (selling frames). While that bring in some additional funds
> I still feel like I am scrounging get what I need and adjusting my
> plans to use less of the few materials (clay) I have left. I have
> also discovered that the stockpile of clay is terrible (for some
> reason - maybe brand) this clay seems to dry within about 2-3 minutes
> of being exposed to air (even when the air is not too dry). With this
> budget I can not justify getting rid of the bad clay and buying
> anything better. So, I'm trying to come up with lesson that can be
> completed super-quick and with small amounts of clay.
> point is...I need to get a better idea of what a
> reasonable elementary art budget is for 350+ kids. I need to address
> the issue with my principal before the situation becomes even more
> desperate but I must be prepared with hard numbers and averages. Any
> help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
> Kimberly
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque