[teacherartexchange] What is your Art Budget

---------

From: Kimberly Butts (kimberly.butts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 13 2011 - 15:27:57 PDT

Hi everybody. I was signed up for TeacherArtExchange many years ago
and sorta lost touch and stopped posting or reading posts. I would
really like to get back into the loop now if I can.

I have been at a new school for nearly 2 years now and I have a budget
of $100 to fund an art program for about 350+ students. The art room
(somehow) seemed pretty well stocked when I got there so I have been
trying to just use what we already had. However, I have found that by
funds are gone just replacing dried up markers and stubby crayons each
year. I turn my big art show into a fundraiser by working with Kids
Art Fairs (selling frames). While that bring in some additional funds
I still feel like I am scrounging get what I need and adjusting my
plans to use less of the few materials (clay) I have left. I have
also discovered that the stockpile of clay is terrible (for some
reason - maybe brand) this clay seems to dry within about 2-3 minutes
of being exposed to air (even when the air is not too dry). With this
budget I can not justify getting rid of the bad clay and buying
anything better. So, I'm trying to come up with lesson that can be
completed super-quick and with small amounts of clay.

Anyway...my point is...I need to get a better idea of what a
reasonable elementary art budget is for 350+ kids. I need to address
the issue with my principal before the situation becomes even more
desperate but I must be prepared with hard numbers and averages. Any
help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Kimberly