[teacherartexchange] Weya Story Quilts - Zimbabwe (GREAT Deal!)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 08 2011 - 11:38:48 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Last time I posted about the Weya Story Quilts (from Zimbabwe), Africa
Direct sold enough to art teachers that it was necessary to place
another order. Eliza Bennett (owner) buys mainly from one family
(Precious, husband Richard? and her relatives).

In browsing Africa Direct's eBay update for today, I saw a large one
starting at only $49.95! I bought mine for about $99 -- but it was
PERFECT for me as the title is "Responsible Husband" - and is a gift
for my hubby for Father's Day. If you think that an odd Father's Day
gift, my Mother's Day gift is a cool wood gong from Cameroon (the cats
picked it out -- chuckles - but Mark likes it too).

There are many more on the site - here is the one listed today:
Weya 6-Panel Story Quilt Village Life Zimbabwe AFRICAN
http://cgi.ebay.com/Weya-6-Panel-Story-Quilt-Village-Life-Zimbabwe-AFRICAN-/370508587775?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56440862ff

If link breaks - go to:
http://shop.ebay.com/AfricaDirect/m.html
Enter Weya in the search.
You will see one called "Village Life" - blue background - that I
liked better aesthetically - but I chose the one by Precious because
of the story and so I could put a name to the piece (Precious includes
the story written on paper and places it in a pocket on the quilt).
Eliza didn't know who made the Village Life one I liked (now back up
to $150.00 - but had also been on sale for $99.00) - just that is is
also by one of Precious' family members.

I also bought the book (on Amazon - about the project)
Ilse Noy, THE ART OF THE WEYA WOMEN, by Baobab Book

From Africa Direct:
>> The Weya quilt is a product of a group of women living in rural Zimbabwe who were taught by the European artist Ilse Noy. Ms. Noy came to Zimbabwe in 1984 as a member of the German Volunteer Service. After working for three years at the Cold Comfort Weaving Co-operative on the outskirts of Harare, Ilse moved to Weya, a small communal area in Zimbabwe . There she taught local women sewing and painting skills, and appliqué and embroidery techniques. Today the Weya quilt workshop has become a veritable industry and the quilts are sold across Zimbabwe, in neighboring countries, and in fact, all over the world.

On another note - if you love unique jewelry - check out what Africa
Direct has to offer in trade beads, Ethiopian jewelry, Tibetan beads
and Jewelry -- and more. Africa Direct grew out of a trip Eliza and
her partner made to Africa in 1994. Cultural groups get a fair price
for their work and artifacts. I have purchased a lot from Africa
Direct since "discovering" them in 2005. Everything is sold over the
web.
http://www.africadirect.com/
One of these days, I will photograph my one-of-a-kind jewelry pieces I
have made and will share the stories that they tell.

Happy hunting for treasures of your own.

Regards,

Judy Decker