RE: [teacherartexchange] have a MA in Education but need a teaching cr edential

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 24 2010 - 12:45:53 PDT

re: Conversation on getting an ACADEMIC teaching certificate.

Fortunately for me I loved English as well as Art, so getting an additional certification in English was a no-brainer. But reality is that while we are all struggling to make ART important and to maintain its position in our school systems, it's the ability to touch kids through teaching that is just as important.

I taught one class in English while teaching art many years ago. I think it made everyone in the school district respect me a bit more because "OMG she grades papers too", as well as all of the other myths the academics have about what we do. I ran a poetry club, did yearbook, and also had a poetry journal, plus art club, and taught 4 art classes that year. I met students whom I might not have engaged with just through the art department. As an aside I also taught Gifted and Talented for 20 years, and certainly crossed paths with students who would normally not take an art class.

I am retiring this year after 34 years of teaching. In my position as "lead art dog" I can say we went from one art teacher (moi) to 4.5, with 50% students in our school than we had when I first started. I can tell you that teaching art has been my priviledge and delight. I am passing my job onto one of my students who will be confirmed by the BOE Wednesday evening. I have always been someone who loved teaching and above all, learning through my students no matter what class of mine they were in.

San D