Re:[teacherartexchange] principal interview questions

---------

From: Ken Rohrer (kenroar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 06 2010 - 23:11:08 PDT

Hi Donnalyn! Speaking as a former principal and art teacher I think there are a few questions that would be helpful in your search. First of all, there aren't many administrators out there with a background in the arts but they are there. Experience in the arts is one requirement you could ask for (of course others in the committee might not agree.) Here are a few possible questions:

1) The superintendent tells you that you have to cut a few teaching positions and programs due to budgeting issues. What programs and teachers would be the first to go? (This will reveal if he/she considers the arts on the chopping block in the event of cuts)

2) A student is sent to your office by a teacher for yelling out in the classroom. This same teacher reports that she has tried various discipline techniques with him and called the parents already. How do you handle the situation? (This issue would be something that a principal would expect a teacher to handle; however, this teacher has handled the student and nothing has worked. The principal should then deal with the student as a repeating "offender." This question will reveal how supportive the principal is of teachers who do what they can and it will also show what kind of discipline they would use in the situation)

3) What will you do to make this school successful and demonstrate that success to the community?

4) Personally, I think micro-managers are the worst people to work for. It might be a good idea to ask something like, "You tell a teacher to perform an important task with a deadline. Do you check up on their progress prior to the deadline? If the task was done incorrectly, how do you deal with the situation?"

Ken Rohrer
The Incredible Art Department
http://www.incredibleart.org/