[teacherartexchange] destroyed artwork

---------

From: donnalyn shuster (d_shuster_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 09:46:54 PDT

Hi all,
Wow! This certainly has sparked a lively discussion of which I am glad to see so many points of view. I think what bothered me the most, in hindsight ( and that is always 20/20!) is some of the pieces were good enough to have made the art show and the kids just did not care about it. I look at my work differently - in that I hang on to everything I do in a finished state, even if it does not sell. It had been a very long week too and I am sure that played into a good bit of my reaction.

The process/product debate will always be a lively topic. I feel in my area, while I value process, to survive the program has to have product as an important factor - especially in the era of being so test driven ( NYS) and the visability componet is essential to making sure art programs continue to exist in our region. A sad but true commentary on the times we live in.

I posted this as a single entry and someone mentioned deleting all the extra posts that appeared....so I know it resulted in some long emails in our in boxes - that I have no control over.

Thanks again for all the viewpoints. That is what makes this group such a valuable forum for us all.

Donnalyn in NY