Re: [teacherartexchange] students destroying art work

---------

bmarder_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 16:10:47 PDT

Hi Donnalyn,

This used to bother me, but I came to a realization one day when I
visited a local ceramics outfit that had individual studios in it.
Outside one was a shelf of beautiful unsold items. A sign said
something like, if you wish to purchase something on the shelf leave
cash under the door. The annual smash-up would be taking place in two
days. At fire sale prices I purchased three teapots and several
bowls, left the paltry sum requested in an envelope under the door and
left happy with what I acquired and horrified that the remaining
pieces would be destroyed.

I understand it better now. The artist was ready to start a new
concept in his pottery. His storage was limited, and he felt he had
exhausted the ideas he used to create those pieces.

Okay so here's what I do these days. I teach K-8 art. Most of the
youngest kids value their art and cannot wait until they take it home.

The older kids- I have the art on back tables and ask them if they
want to take home their work. I tell them someone at home may value
what they have created-and don't forget grandparents, I add.

Unclaimed work goes into the following piles:
-Unclaimed ceramics are sold at the first PTA meeting the following
fall. Your choice $1. This year I arranged a small field trip for art
club members with the proceeds. A couple of students decided to
purchase their own work!

-Colorful paintings get cut up for collage and weaving the following year

-Some work gets hung in local nursing homes, businesses etc

-Finally some work gets trashed but not until all other avenues are explored.

Many of my studnets live in small city apartments where very little of
anything is saved.

Incidentally I notice right after our annual science fair, all these
beautiful presenations on display boards are piled up in the trash.
So it is not only the completed art that gets trashed.

Being somewhat of a hoarder myself, when I relocated my studio, with
great emotion I sifted through volumes of drawings, sketches, etc and
piled a lot of things in the trash pile myself. It was kind of like
shedding a skin and starting anew. Soemtimes we overvalue the product.

Barbara from Boston