Re: [teacherartexchange] students destroying art work

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 16:06:28 PDT

It can be disheartening to see the work in the trash. We all try to
come up with ways so that
the work is treasured. We give it to parents at conferences or
display the work so it will be
valued. Often nothing works. My students treasured the printing
plates they carved more than
the images they printed. They also seemed to value clay sculpture
more than work on paper.
Paper, in our society, is something we just throw away. But, I've
seen many a clay sculpture
busted up on the sidewalks. I had a school psychologist who collected
all the discarded and
unwanted clay sculptures of heads. She decorated her garden with
hundreds of them over
the years. Better than putting student heads in her garden. I think
it was some sort of release
of all those built up tensions. A home for orphaned art.
                                                                                        Woody

On May 24, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Jean King wrote:

> I firmly second what Michal Austin and San D Hasselman have said.
> Process over product. Don't take it personally.
>
> Hang in there. It's almost time to take off and plan for next
> year! LOL
>
> Jean King in hot, humid Houston
>

> On May 24, 2009, at 9:07 AM, donnalyn shuster wrote:
>

>> I know this has been discussed quite a while ago, but the issue of
>> student deliberately destoying their art work at the end of the
>> year has resurfaced. We always return the bulk of the work from
>> our annual art show following the event and this year it seems
>> like I have had a higher than normal rate of kids who just do not
>> care and look to dump their stuff immediately! I told them they
>> HAVE to take it with them - yet last week before our long weekend,
>> I found broken ceramic projects on our walkway/2D work stuffed in
>> garbage cans...very disheartening! How do you deal with this
>> issue??? I have many who really VALUE their work and take great
>> care to get their work home in one piece...yet the numbers of the
>> kids who just do not care( amazingly reflected in their academic
>> achievement.....) seems to be rising at an alarming rate.
>>
>> Donnalyn in NY
>>
>> --- On Sun, 5/24/09, TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest
>> <teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu> wrote:
>>

> ---
> To unsubscribe go tohttp://www.getty.edu/education/
> teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html