Re: [teacherartexchange] students destroying art work

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 15:22:14 PDT

Patty,

You have made a good point. When given the "choice" of what the project is I have less "throw away' art in my classroom. Many times the throw away stuff is the work that they did to get to the one or two "finished" pieces. The "thinking" that goes into the refinement is so important. The "thinking" of what do I do, how will it be done, why am I doing it are behaviors artist deal with always. Not only artist deal with these but these are decisions, problem solving skills that the average person is met with daily. Investment into the "process" is part of the ingredient. Helping students make the decision to keep or discard a work of art is a teachable moment.

Jeff (Minnesota)