Re: [teacherartexchange] students destroying art work

---------

From: play2cre8 (play2cre8_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 09:59:15 PDT

Believe me - if there is anyone that is 'process' it is me... I am not
sure I have ever finished anything - so I understand what everyone is
saying. But... it sounds like some of these were finished products
displayed in the art show. I would considered those 'published pieces'
and ready for the public. I would want to know what was going on. I
have seen kids not want something, but the parents do. (Also - the
reverse... kids that want it and the parent really makes it clear they
don't have room for it at home).

Not to mention just being disrespectful of materials. (I always refer
to the Maria Martinez video where she takes only the clay she would
use and offers a gift of corn to Mother Earth.)

For the older grades we keep the artwork in one place and if the
students want it to take home - or the parents come get it.
If they don't want it - it is up for grabs - there are masks,
ceramics, paintings in common areas, computer labs and the library
because teachers grab them.

Any flat work not claimed - some I display in a nearby coffee shop,
save for beginning of the year bulletin boards or could be given new
life as altered artwork, prepared papers or bulletin board borders.

They don't have to want it - but they shouldn't destroy it.
Ellen