Re: [teacherartexchange] students destroying art work

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 09:49:10 PDT

We discuss this in class with my Elementary and High School Students. The "choice" to throw away work is "theirs" where they throw it is to be considerate of others. Breaking ceramic pieces against the outside of the school is littering and vandalism, or throwing it out the bus window is putting drivers at risk and grounds for a variety of consequences. If they wish not to keep it they may throw it away in my room, properly recycling it or giving me the ceramic work so I may dispose of it properly. I have decided "I" cannot control the outcome of what students do with their projects, my hope is they take them home. I also realize that some students do not take things home because of the "home life" they come from. Some students have told me they cannot bring things home, their parents throw the work away, etc. I know this is true because parents have even told me they do not appreciate the "stuff" their kids bring home all the time. This is why I
 give them options of disposing of it with me, or correctly disposing of it or just give it to me and I use it to decorate the display cases during the summer when we do not have other projects to hang up (students appreciate their work is being used for something).

Jeff (Minnesota)