Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: May 23, 2009

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 08:05:57 PDT

RE: Altered Books
  Each year, I do "altered books" with my fifth graders, and I also
teach a "Mixed-Media" class for educators at a local college where we
cover bookmaking for all ages. "Altered Books" are a great way to have
odds & ends used up, old magazines, scraps of pastel sets, yarn, old
paints, etc. After a lesson on the books as an ART FORM, not just a
cut & paste collage deal, I have students decide on a theme, set out
the media choices, and let it fly!
  I make bookplates for each student to fill-out & glue into the
inside front cover, let them paint the covers next (acrylic paint &
some adhere tissue paper scraps into it), then we just work on "one
spread" per class period. Because of end of the year field trips,
spring break, concert assemblies, etc., some classes end up with 6 or
more spreads done, others with just two, but all feel successful.
  For younger students, I would make media stations. If you use
altered book websites with your students, really check the book pages
closely before your show them, as some are not elementary
age-appropriate, Also, maybe there is a theme the classroom teachers
are doing that could be reinforced. If you could gather together some
old envelopes for pockets inside the pages, kids love tucking special
images/notes inside of them.... I've found that having a guiding idea
really fosters creativity and quality. The books look really cool
displayed together standing upright!
Lois G.

--
Life is short, art is long...-Hippocrates