Re: [teacherartexchange] students destroying art work

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 07:50:06 PDT

This may not be a popular answer, but I don't think it is realistic for
every student to value their artwork. I loved choir in high school, yet am
really not a big music fan. I hated PE classes & you couldn't have paid me
enough to participate in school sports. I wasn't overly fond of science
classes. I am a strong believer today that each & every one of these are
important for students to participate in to become well-rounded citizens.
Even today I have high school students that tell me they LOVE my class. They
work hard on their projects, and yet throw them away at the end of the
assignment. They do enjoy the creation process, but don't have an attachment
to the artwork itself. Don't take it personally - they may even come from
families who don't collect stuff (gasp!!!) & therefore admire something then
throw it away! They do exist - I am the bane of my mom's existence! *L*
~Michal

I know this has been discussed quite a while ago, but the issue of student
deliberately destoying their art work at the end of the year has resurfaced.
We always return the bulk of the work from our annual art show following the
event and this year it seems like I have had a higher than normal rate of
kids who just do not care and look to dump their stuff immediately! I told
them they HAVE to take it with them - yet last week before our long weekend,
I found broken ceramic projects on our walkway/2D work stuffed in garbage
cans...very disheartening! How do you deal with this issue??? I have many
who really VALUE their work and take great care to get their work home in
one piece...yet the numbers of the kids who just do not care( amazingly
reflected in their academic achievement.....) seems to be rising at an
alarming rate.