RE: [teacherartexchange] students destroying art work

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 07:47:05 PDT

I may come from a different point of view, but here is my belief in a nutshell. What we have students produce is not an end product, but an experiment to learn from. We ask them to take risks, try materials they are unfamiliar with, produce something that is generally not of their choosing (well it sorta is, but we monitor that aspect), and to be graded on it. I teach my students that these results are just beginnings and opening their minds up to possibilities to what they can achieve when they make art. My advance students naturally save their work for their portfolios, but that said, once they get into their art schools they know they will be doing more work. Their more personal pieces that they have made (with their thesis statements as a starting point) are usually the ones they save. My beginning classes stress over their "experiments" all the time, so for example when we are learning the proper way to draw a face, they are upset that it doesn't "look" perfect. I always say to them "how many portraits
have you done in your life" and put our work in a context of experience, hard work, practice, and longevity. Many of the "famous" artists's early works that we have seen in museums, especially sketches/drawings, were just ideas drawn out for their bigger pieces (and just ideas/experiments on paper), and if those artists were alive today, they would most probably say "why are you venerating THOSE sketches/drawings of mine, where did you get them, I thought I threw them out". Simply said, I have never emphasized the "make and take" philosophy of art education, I am of the "art is a process" mind.

San D